Geneve!
Our trip ended with a rather eventful day and a half in Geneva. Here's the first installment of memories.
Here's John Calvin's "chaise." For those of you who may not be familiar with the story, a "chaise" is a type of chair that eventually evolved into the seats now used in modern-day rollercoasters. If you ever go to Disneyland, one of the kiddy rides is called a "The Chaise," and is actually named after this type of seat. The high-back helps prevent whiplash, and the "seatbelt" contraption on the front of the chair supposedly keeps the person in the chair from falling out. Interestingly, use of these chairs for entertainment purposes is nothing new. Several hundred years before Calvin, this type of chair was used in medieval sporting events, in which individuals would sit in the chair, which was attached to a smooth wooden base, and race eachother down hills, while shooting arrows at distant targets, giving rise to the phrase, "the chaise is on."
Pictured here is a synagogue. In the U.S., we have coffee cafes in our church courtyards. In Switzerland, things are a little different.
Chess in the park - it looked pretty cool.
Franck Muller: Master of complications. Easily entertained, we found the countless "Frank Muller: Master of complications" signs and stores rather interesting. I wanted to buy some schmuck, but I didn't have the money to spare. ("Schmuck" is, apparently, the German word for "bling bling." Either that, or the Swiss just have a twisted way of poking fun at open-pocketed tourists.)

4 Comments:
I feel really ignorant about the chaise. You know, I'd better not play Balderdash with you; I might be tempted to listen for your vote. ;-)
You think I could get some votes with a definition along those lines? :-) Inventing history is fun - it saves research time and allows for some creative thinking.
Schmuck, for the record, is a Yiddish word (Hebrew and German mixed together) and describes... well... a body part that Jewish men don't have. In more common American usage it means jerk or idiot.
The original German word does mean "bling bling".
Go figure.
TMI!
Post a Comment
<< Home